Thursday, August 14, 2008

Do you wordle?

I love words. I always have.  And now, thanks to Jackie's Stitchworks blog http://stitchworks-jackie.blogspot.com, I have a great new way to enjoy them.  It's called wordle http://wordle.net/.  You type or copy text into a box on the website, click go, and their brilliant Java Applet creates a graphic design using your words.  There are lots of configuration options to choose, or you can keep clicking randomize until you get an image you love.  Here, for example, are two versions using the first stanza from Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven:


Poewordle_3 Poewordle2


You can print these directly from their applicataion, or as I do, print them to a file on my computer using a virtual printer that converts the document to PDF (we use Primo PDF - it's free, easy to download and use.)  I can then play with the image further in Photoshop Elements -resizing, applying filters, changing colors.  I would love to create screens from these - thermo fax might be a good option for this.  Please comment if you have any other suggestions.


Javaprinting_2

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous website! I love words, I am so glad I stumbled across your website!
    Cheers,
    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen others use wordle but not then play with the results in Photoshop - that adds a whole new dimension. What's a virtual printer?
    Welcome to blogging - looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete