Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Adventures in creating a design wall

I moved from the tiny bedroom studio to the converted carport studio several years ago, and left my old design wall behind.  I missed it, but there just wasn't a good place in the new studio because every wall was busy, with doorways, windows, bookcases, birdcage, etc.  I developed some amusing work arounds, like going up to the loft and looking down over the edge to my worktable below to get some perspective.  Not great, but I thought it was the best I could do until I saw the perfect answer on Pamela Allen's blog http://pamelartnews.blogspot.com/2008_03_01_archive.html .  It's a rolling design wall, made from an inexpensive rolling garment rack and a sheet of rigid insulation board.  It's fabulous! So, I got started figuring out how to make one for myself.  Designwallfront     Designwallback


First some problems to work out.  Our local big box home center stores only had Styrofoam insulation board, which is weak and kind of floppy and the edges break down easily.  Solution Laminate the Styrofoam board to a sheet of luan.  Second, how to attach the upholstered board securely to the garment rack.  This took some fiddling, but I think my cable tie solution worked out well.  Velcro could have worked too, but I didn't have any on hand, and getting it snug might have been an issue. 


I am DELIGHTED with the results.  It rolls easily, works great, looks great, didn't cost much, and serves some bonus purposes I hadn't even considered.  When my naughty little studio mate Mylo Birdie shrieks (parrots are SOOOO loud!) I simply roll the design wall in front of his cage and he becomes quiet as a little mouse.  The quiet is followed by his soft, contrite, flirty voice, saying sweet little things like "I love u" and "Hi, baby".


I will soon add light storage, too, by hanging large pot hooks from IKEA over the rod at the back.  This should be ideal for stuff like aprons.   I may even suspend another hanging rod from the garment rack for a few small folded quilts.  I have written a tutorial to show how I created my design wall http://quiltrobin.typepad.com/quiltrobin_my_creative_jo/design-wall-tutorial.html

2 comments:

  1. Your design wall idea is great! I made one myself out of 1 1/2 inch styrofoam. It's a little more rigid and is able to be leaned up against the wall and secured with some L shaped brackets.
    I like to idea of having a wall on wheels that's able to be moved around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leah! I really love being able to roll it whereever I want to go within my studio. I can't roll it to other rooms because it's too tall for the doorways. No matter though, I would gladly stay in the studio all day!

    ReplyDelete