Friday, April 24, 2009

Playing with NOTAN

Notan-image



I had some fun this week with Notan, the Japanese paper cutting exercise of expanding the square.  I began by spontaneously cutting tree branch shapes into each side of a 6" square of art paper.  Because I didn't plan, I quickly ran out of room in the square.  I pasted the results in my sketchbook and photographed the strong black and white image.


Then the real fun began.  In Photoshop Elements, I resized, multiplied and rearranged the image in a bunch of ways.  I played with transformation, getting some really cool distorted results. I even made a custom paintbrush with the image.  I am really pleased and energized by the results.  My goal is to make a screen or stencil with the image.


Notan-image4 Notan-image2


 Notan-image3




No comments:

Post a Comment