Thursday, January 29, 2009

My Doodle A Day Diet!

I just added a photo album called "Doodle a Day Diet" to share my progress on my daily doodling exercise.  Click this link or you can find it on the sidebar on the right under Photos.  It is amazing to me that as you add definition - with depth, outlines, fill, embellisments, color - even a poorly drawn shape or a weak composion will morph into something pretty darned good!  I am quickly finding that the more I do, the more satisfying the results.  I guess this is another variation on the old musician's joke:


How do you get to Carnegie Hall?      Practice, practice, practice!


I challenge everyone who reads this to try my "Doodle a Day Diet" for yourself for two weeks. It's simple - no grocery shopping or cooking, just a writing implement and paper.  You don't have to buy a snazzy new sketch book unless you really, really want to.  You can even make it a "green project" by recycling the envelopes from your bills or your junk mail.  I encourage you to try a nice black pen with a fairly bold line.  I'm using a medium point PITT Artist Pen - india ink, which permanent so it doesn't bleed when you add color and doesn't soak through the page.  Second choice would be something like a fine Sharpie, although they do soak through the page.  Forget about pencil - commit to ink!  It's just doodling.  If you don't like it after you've done all you can with it, move on to the next page.


Please let me know how the "Doodle a Day Diet" is working for you by posting your comments here.  If you blog or flicker, etc., please let us know where we can see your doodling photos.   I'm betting you find it a joyful adventure, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment