Friday, January 23, 2009

Meet SAQA's Artists: SAQA's 20th Anniversary Trunk Show

SAQA-Trunk-S.web 


Here's the little piece I made for  SAQA's Trunk Show.  This exhibit is a great idea, and I am so pleased for the opportunity to contribute this little piece of me.  It was nice to do something small, and kind of cool NOT to have to finish the edges because the pieces will be matted with and 8x8 opening.  My only frustration - when I was done quilting, it was done.  It told me it was done.  I hung it on my design wall and thought about it for several days, but it was still done!  I wanted to embellish it, but it doesn't need it and there simply isn't room for it.  This is very amusing to me, since I usually can find a reason to embellish ANYTHING.  At one time there was a family joke: don't sit down at Robin's house - she'll glue something to you!


Here's the statement I sent with it:


This small quilt represents both me and my style in many ways.We (the quilt and I) are colorful, vibrant, intense, a bit complicated (over 30 pieces of fabric in an 8” square!), all over the place (the quilting), and sparkly.  I’m not sure which I like better, bright colors or sparkly things, so I use both generously in all of my creative work, including my quilts, sketchbooks, decorative painting, etc.  Typically, I would bind a quilt like this one in black and white fabrics.  That’s a little joke about me, because sometimes, I tend to be bound up in black and white!   I adore brilliant color; it doesn’t matter what color so long as it is bright, intense, vivid, and bold.  Things that sparkle first caught my eye very early in my life, and haven’t let go yet.  I rarely make anything that does not include sparkle in some way, whether in metallic paints shiny or metallic threads, shimmering fabrics, beads, or crystals.  I piece my way to the intricacy I so love by stacking fabrics, slashing and reassembling them, and repeating the process many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment