Wednesday, January 21, 2009

E Pluribus Unum II

Ann Flaherty just published a small selection of the wonderful responses to her E Pluribus Unum II Challenge, including my quilt Warhol Family Matzoh Ball Soup, on her Cultural Cloth website.  All of the challenge quilts will ultimately be published on the QuiltArt website.  I will update this link when the entire exhibit is available for online viewing.  Ann is also busy making arrangements for this special exhibit to travel.  Your comments on her site will be a great help in arranging venues to show this work.


Ann challenged the members of the QuiltArt, the Internet's largest mailing list for contemporary art quilters, to create art quilts reflecting their cultural heritage.  Each quilt was to be 14" square and include a photo transfer.


I really enjoyed participating in this challenge.  The subject matter got me thinking and sketching about my cultural heritage in ways I had not previously considered.  I was so excited when i finally got the idea for my quilt.  This is the first quilt I have made using my own photography.  In the process, I learned a lot more about photography and some cool tricks in Photoshop, too.  My new favorite is the hue/saturation adjustment.


I am really looking forward to seeing all of the quilts in this exhibit.  The quilts, along with their respective artists' statements, offer a touching and unique glimpse into the lives and hearts of the quiltmakers.  Please be sure to take a look at this moving work at http://culturalcloth.wordpress.com/e-pluribus-unum-ii-cultures-in-cloth/


Thank you, Ann, for all of your hard work and deep commitment in making this challenge and the resulting exhibit a reality.  I am grateful for the opportunity to participate, and to show my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment