Friday, September 12, 2008

Technique for Working Through a Bad Day or Artist Block

I feel so low today.  I wish I knew better how to make art about or through feeling like this.  Today it’s all I can feel; it’s like a big, thick, wet, dirty blanket smothering the urge to create, and just about everything else.  I know it’s situational, it will be gone in a few days, as it always is, and that I just have to hold on until it passes.  I just wish I could spend those few days making something, even if it’s not bright, joyous and beautiful.



Perhaps asking these questions of myself will help me find the way:



What color is it?


Black is too obvious, but it is dark.  A dull, mottled, deep, bloody or plummy burgundy seems right.


What does it look like, what shape or form best approximates it?


It’s flat, wide and spreading, like a grimy, gritty pool of spent motor oil.  Thick.  Static.


What kind of line or mark would it make?


                Flat.  Heavy.  Without implied motion.  Sloppy or imprecise.  No sharp lines or angles because it lacks vital energy.


What sort of images would illustrate this mood in a way others might understand?


                A pit or depression in the ground.  A cave.  A blob.  A shallow empty bowl.  A broken jar or vessel.  A flat dead crow.


What media would be most effective in expressing this feeling?


                Very thick acrylic paint.  Big fat dark greasy crayons, oil sticks.  A puddle of dirty, bedraggled rayon velvet with lots of wrinkles.  Black and white paper (Notan?) or low key B&W fabrics.



Postscript.  I tried.  I got out the sketchbook and drew crows.  Some look like chickens, some eagles, none really look dead, but it worked.  I feel better, lighter, and productive again.


Crowsketch

No comments:

Post a Comment