Tuesday, September 2, 2008

L.L. Cool J - Ringtone Murder feat. Grandmaster Caz



I study styles and this brother happens to be a master of many. First of all L.L. came into the game with the same type of ferocious energy that people praise cats like 50 Cent for. Back in the days, it was part of the game for Emcees to strive to take a another Emcees title...L.L. calimed to be the "new Grandmaster", which meant he was automatically shooting for [Grandmaster] Caz and Melle Mel's head. That wouldn't have been a problem if Caz and Mel weren't considered the illest, lyrical emcees in the game. I was younger when L.L. came out, so naturally I gravitated towards L.L. and his claims of being the "new Grandmaster" cause I was probably too young to fully understand the impact Caz and Mel had in the game then...I just liked L.L.'s style, energy, and chains. L.L. seemed more realistic to me, I could identify with the Turkish ropes, sweatsuits and Troops, and although he was lyrical as hell with a great voice, Mel was still on some Afrika Bambataa costume shit...I digress, my point is, even though I have been highly influenced by the styles and art of L.L. Cook J as an artist...there have been times when I wrote him off. You know, just mentally deemed him incapable of recovering from self-inflicted fatal blows. Anybody remember when L flipped his hat style and started rocking the leather Doctor Seuss shit?...I wrote him off then but the nigga came with Boomin System and you had to roll with him,. Well he did it again...I swore I would never fuck with his music again. I would rather respectfully remember the glory years when his releases actually had an impact on the landscape...I considered him in the Will Smith category...you know, niggaz too rich, and credible to judge based on current behavior...but he did it AGAIN with CAZ!!! even the title is dope.....Ringtone Murder...maked me wanna go ERRRRRAH!!!! L on his old battle flow......very few emceed like this left.

L.L. Cool J Ringtone Murder feat Grandmaster Caz

No comments:

Post a Comment