Tuesday, August 19, 2008

One of my favorite things is really cool tools, either real or virtual.  Today, while searching for a means to print isometric grids of various sizes onto transparency film for a C&G course activity, I found this website http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/.  On it, you can create an amazing variety of graph paper styles, and you get to choose the specifications for grid and line size and color yourself!  Be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom, there are so many styles.


For example, today I created equilateral triangle graph paper in 1/2", 3/4" and 1" sizes. Here's a sample: Download 34_inch_triangle_graph_paper_black_lines.pdf


A few of my favorites are: 


  • polar grids (great for drafting spirals)

  • variable triangles where you control the degrees of the angles and the base size (here I created a very wide squatty triangle with great potential)

  • circles

  • perspective

There are lots of things for quilters - tumbling blocks, hexagons, Celtic knot to name a few.


I love that you can control the color of the lines, too.  I created my grids for transparencies with black lines, so they really show up when you lay them over an image.  For printing on plain white paper, I chose the pale blue lines so they will disappear when I color in the triangles.  The applications for design work with these grids are numerous.  There is an excellent discussion with examples here: http://textiledreamer.wordpress.com/2008/02/02/designing-geometrical-quilts/  and be sure to see a beautiful completed quilt http://textiledreamer.wordpress.com/?s=snow+flake


Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment