Thursday, August 14, 2008

Make Art Every Day

This is pretty much my new mantra, the answer to most problems, and apparently the path to a happy life.  I started early this summer, and I must say it really helps me in lots of ways.  If I'm upset or frustrated, my first response  now is to make art.  If I'm at home, I go to the studio, but I can do this anywhere, anytime, and with just about anything, even if it's just a matchbook sketch or a plastic straw "sculpture".  It's almost addictive, a delightful high of sorts (without the hangover or legal issues) - the more I do, the more I want to do.  I rarely miss a day.  This is probably about endorphins.  Too bad I have never been able to get exercise to work the same way for me.


It didn't take long at all for this practice to become a firmly established habit.  Interestingly, the results don't seem to matter.  My internal critic seems to have no place in this process, no voice at all, which is LOVELY!  Now that I think of it, I haven't heard from my internal critic in a while.  Maybe it's dead!?!  Hooray! 


I think that part of the reason that the results don't matter is that I am not striving at all for completed works.  My idea is to have art making time, not to make this, that, or the other thing.   I can make something if I choose, but not having that as an objective is very freeing and satisfying.  Even cleaning the studio satisfies me, makes me feel better, happier, more energetic.  I've spent many happy hours lately sorting, culling, and reorganizing art tools, supplies, and books.  I've rediscovered all kinds of things I had forgotten about.  A large give away pile is steadily growing in the middle of the room. It's rather interesting that after all the years of believing that acquiring art materials would lead to making more art, it turns out now that giving stuff away is having that effect.


More about this later...

No comments:

Post a Comment