Sunday, August 24, 2008

Acid Dye Day

Dyeday1    Dyeday2  Dyeday3


Thursday, our guild Off the Wall met at Gale's studio http://galesart.blogspot.com/ for a wonderful dye day.  Some of us used her acid dyes on silk, others brought Procion dyes and cotton fabrics.


I dyed the three pieces above.  The black and white silk habotai has been dyed twice so far, and I think needs a third, but delicately applied dip in the same very dark black that you see in the lower left corner and bits in other places.  Once that's done, and it goes for a fabric softener dip, I think it wants to be a lush scarf for me with hand beaded dangly trim.


The second piece is a previously dyed yellow green (it was too light for my taste) over dyed this time with blue and green in the "Explosions of Color" technique Gale taught us.  What fun, and so easy, too.


The third item (looks like a mop!) is silk satin bias ribbon dribbled with blues, yellows and greens.  I don't know what I'll do with this yet, but I love it. It could be very cool for fiber jewelery - strung with sparkly beads, knotted...


I love the acid dyes for a number of reasons.  They are fast, easy to use, and the results can be spectacular.  I especially love that the rinsing is SOOOO easy on my hands.


Thanks, Gale, for a really fun day.  You are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment